Sunday, August 16, 2009

Last weeks of Summer

We're in the last few weeks of summer...bummer. It feels so short this year because, for the first time, we are planning around the school year...Lauren starts Kindergarten next week. I'm trying to keep us busy this week and let Lauren pick what she wants to do...we're swimming a few times, going to Travel Town, having play dates, and really just trying to have a good time before we have to work around a school schedule. It really has been a fantastic summer...Andy and I went on an Alaskan cruise with his entire adult family (no grand kids) and left our own kids for 8 entire days...a long time, but oh so fabulous. I'll put up another post in the next few days about our time in Alaska...that deserves it's own post.

We took the kids to Seal Beach yesterday for the first time this summer...as Andy said, "why haven't we been doing this all summer?" I didn't realize how close we are to Seal Beach, and just how easy it would be to get us all there...great place with easy access and cheap parking...the kids had fun. We were only there for 2 hours...perfect with 3 little kids. Charlie ate sand the ENTIRE time and loved it (until the very end, and then we knew it was time to go). He's crawling all over the place now and pulls up on everything...and try to take something away from him and he'll scream.

My poor kids get to use old #10 cans as sand toys...the white one is an old yogurt container...dump out the mud from the back yard and take them to the beach!
Kate only got washed away once...our hands slipped and she washed out in the waves...her little head finally popped out of the waves and I ran out to get her...she went crying to dad, but still came back for more...I have to admit I freaked out for several seconds till the waves receded and she came up!

Kate's new thing--"applying" lipstick with a crayon or colored pencil...it's been fun the few times she's found a marker...she goes around putting lipstick on everyone...she even shows you how to purse your lips and won't start until you've properly done it...sometimes it takes several rounds of her showing you, telling you you're doing it wrong, and her showing you how to stick out your lips again...

The kids even did a little skinny-dipping this week...

I couldn't remember why I took this picture, then I looked closely...all 3 kids had a pony-tail on top of the head...even Charlie...

Lauren and Kate went to Vacation Bible School at the local Methodist Church (where Kate starts preschool in a few weeks)...every morning for 5 days I'd put the kids in the stroller and walk the 2 blocks to "bible camp" and then come home and put Charlie down for a nap...it was fabulous. Then Charlie and I would walk and pick them up...the girls LOVED it...they danced, sang, played, did activities, met new friends and really enjoyed themselves...we knew several people there from Church and MOMS Club, so they had some friends already...Lauren keeps asking when she can go again...this was the first morning...


We had an ice cream social at the house this week...all the little girls went running out to play outside, and there were 4 little boys (about Lauren's age) that headed straight to the bedroom to play with the kitchen, doll house and dolls...us moms got a good laugh...there's one little girl in this picture, but this was about an hour into the activity...

Charlie discovered the piano this week...he LOVES getting his little fingers up there...he plays more than his mom these days...


I think I have a picture like this with all 3 of my kids...he was perfectly happy to play in this basket while I changed loads...

A preview of my next post...


And I have to give a shout out to my good friend Shelley--while I have no pics to show it, I've loved hanging out with you the past few weeks...thanks for the good times eating, swimming, BBQ'ing, chatting and catching up in person...can't wait till you're back in a few months...

We just got our computer back tonight...We haven't had our computer for almost 2 1/2 weeks now...we were gone for 8 days, and then my brother was installing a new part...I was completely without the internet the entire time, except for quickly checking my email twice at my mom's house for anything urgent...It was hard for a few days, and then it was awesome...I realized that I spend way too much time immersed in the lives of other people (via blogs)...about half way through the week I commented to Andy that I felt much calmer and simpler and isolated (in a really good way) by not being on the internet all the time...I read books, talked on the phone, leisurely walked the kids to vacation bible school, played with the kids more, and really just enjoyed sitting around, where normally I'd be reading blogs and surfing the net...I've turned over a new web-leaf! I'm going to really limit my time online...tonight I've uploaded almost 450 pictures and updated my blog, but have stayed away from Google Reader...Andy's in bed, so I guess I'll go read a book or flip on the TV...

8 comments:

Jean said...

Oh, summer fun! There is nothing more wonderful!! Oh my gosh, I can't wait to hear about the cruise -- looks amazing!!

The Bunker Family said...

It wouldn't be a blog from the Hyers without some nudie shots! So, it's official: You are not allowed to watch kids in the ocean anymore! Too many kids being washed away, if you ask me. Just sayin'. ;)

sachia said...

Shannon...good to hear from you and I am excited to hear about the cruise too. :)

La La Land said...

I miss you, lady!! The beach looked fun, I can't believe how big and cute your kids are. Can't wait to hear about the cruise!

Unknown said...

Braden has the same little rash guard as Charlie! Love it :) Your kids are so so adorable and fun. I love looking at your blog. AND, I am so jealous you guys got EIGHT days away...what a treat!

Jackie and Bryan said...

What cute kids you have!!

Did you see Val while you were in Alaska? Can't wait to see your post!!

Becky J. said...

Great pictures! And I so have the same love/hate relationship going with the internet, esp. Google Reader. This is the first time I've gotten on to check it in over a week, and I've got so many blogs to check it's insane. But I realize when I'm not always doing it, I feel more peace, too. Interesting.

Kizzycakes said...

holy cow -- you're kids are so old! and so darn cute. i totally miss you guys. can't wait to see more cruise pics -- so fun! where did you guys go? can't wait for the details. i know what you mean about taking time away from the computer -- it's a bad place. i'm with ya. but i do miss catching up with people. hope you guys are well...