Saturday, May 1, 2010

Europe in a few words

A quick update--I'm in Europe. My mom, dad and brother have had this trip planned for months, but my mom got cancer, had a double mastectomy a few weeks ago, and here I sit in Paris with my brother and dad. We were in Spain all last week, and spent time in both Madrid and Barcelona--loved them both. Especially loved Toledo, which was a quick train ride outside of Madrid. Could have spent more than one day there. We all sort of agreed that the food in Spain sucks...sorry for those that love it. But all the beady eyes of the shellfish staring up at me from a plate of oily rice just didn't look appealing. But we did eat a lot of ice cream and Italian food. Now we're in Paris and will be here all week. So far, great food, even better chocolate. Seriously, tonight at dinner I think we almost went into a chocolate coma--wouldn't that be a good way to go out? We death march everyday...all day. Walk and walk and walk. And we come back after 11 PM every night. The days are full...here are a few photos so far from the trip...I'm not going to take the time to put these all in order...but the general time line was Madrid...Barcelona..Paris (so far)...

We got into Paris yesterday and went to the Eiffel Tower--my brother and I went all the way to the tip top--my dad is not a fan of heights, and stayed on the ground...unbelievable view...


On of the most charming things about Spain was the outdoor cafes with live music...everywhere...this is Toledo, which was a group favorite...we ate lunch here to the sounds of live accordian. We heard accordian all over Spain, and it was beautiful--I had no idea it could sound like that...

A plaza in Madrid--my dad resting from the day's death march all over the city...

An accordian player outside the Royal Palace in Madrid...it sure was fun to speak Spanish again for the week.

We've rented this apartment in Paris for the week...we thought my mom would love the drapes :)

Park Retiro in Madrid

We took a bike tour in Barcelona--an awesome way to see the city...in front of Barcelona's Arc de Triumf

The Seine River in Paris...

We have several days left and I am looking forward to more french bread, chocolates, outdoor eating and walking...

8 comments:

Allison said...

AND...your hair looks fabulous! Especially in the Seine pic. Don't get all Euro glam on me now...

Jessica Hughes said...

Wow!!! So beautiful. I mean u r . Jk awsome pictures.

Jean said...

AHH!! Hooray!! What fabulous pictures!! I'm so jealous of the sweet digs in Paris... enjoy the rest of the trip!

megan said...

oh what fun!!!! you look fabulous! and the food sounds divine--bread and chocolate are two of my favorite things.

so so sad to hear about your mom though!!!

La La Land said...

You look SO beautiful!!! I am so jealous! And I concur on the Spanish food comment. Can't wait to see more!

Wendy said...

i am sorry about your mom- i hope her recovery is swift. how fun for you to ake her place. i love europe (actually i've only seen england and france) ! enjoy the time off=)

Chuck and Rebecca said...

Shannon, I am so sorry to hear about your mother's bout with cancer. I hope she is doing well. However, how fortunate for you that she insisted that you take her place. You are a part of her, so she is enjoying you enjoying the trip. Your pictures are beautiful and so are you; especially the picture taken on the Seine. Much love, Rebecca Heber City

dana said...

so cool! looks like you're having a grand time! We're headed to Italy in a month and this is making me excited.
That apartment you rented looks way too cool