Sunday, January 8, 2012

House Remodel

From the moment we moved into our house we've been planning and saving to remodel our kitchen...the wrecking balls came on January 2nd and it felt great.  We spent the week between Christmas and New Years getting the front of the house packed up and ready.  Our master bedroom looks like the TV show "Hoarders"--everything got moved into our room.  Despite the complete mess, I've decided that there is something totally liberating about not caring whether things are messy, out of place, or get spilled.  All the floors in the house are being replaced, so now when the kids spill on the carpet, I don't care!  There is so much dust, dirt, crumbs, construction trash, etc. everywhere that I've totally let go of any sense of orderliness  and embraced the mess!

This was the last breakfast on New Years Day before it all got ripped out the next day...the house looked like when he had just moved in--no pictures, no drapes, little furniture...I kept thinking that we'd taken the "home" out of our "house".

























I stood watching the demolition with a very happy heart--we'd been talking about this for so long that I couldn't believe it was happening...









We are putting in hardwood floors throughout the front of the house--living room, dining room, kitchen and family room.  The rest of the house is getting new carpet...


The new cabinets came on Wednesday...



We are having all the lighting/wiring re-done--all new recessed lights in both the kitchen and family room, as well as 3 pendant lights above the counter...


Andy and I just have to laugh when we look around our bedroom--it's certainly a multi-purpose room right now!

 

I usually have a place for everything, and it's not my bedroom--I don't know who I am anymore!

As of tonight, this is what the kitchen looks like--there is one more tall cabinet going beside the doorway in the big space there--it was wrong and had to be re-built.  We gained a ton of cabinet space by building in the big blank wall on the right.  Our china and goblets will finally have a home in the upper cabinets on the side...this week will hopefully bring the counter tops--light gray quartz, the other cabinet and finishing work--patching and painting, and hopefully our appliances put back in place.  When that's all done and we've moved everything back in, the floors will be put in.  For now, we just spill on the floor and keep walking--kinda fun.

2 comments:

danyelly said...

It looks so good. I love the dark finish on the cabinets!

Ben & Rachel said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!