Friday night we had an early birthday celebration with our good friends here...their daughter also turned 2 on Saturday, and we originally had an outing to Chuck E. Cheese planned for the kids, but with the BYU vs. Utah St. game on that night (could Utah St. extend their winning streak to 2?...fat chance...sorry Andy and the Hyers!...) along with the fact that the food at Chuck E. Cheese is so revoltingly disgusting, not to mention expensive, we decided to stay in, order pizza and celebrate with a Friday night playdate...the girls had fun...Becky showed off her superb cake decorating skills with a Tinkerbell cake, and the kids had a lot of fun together...Kate's not always on her nicest behavior around Sophie (I think that Sophie wears a "kick-me" sign that only Kate can see), so we have to keep a close eye on Kate, but Sophie is such a good sport and so sweet, and one of these days Sophie will simply smack Kate back, and they'll be life-long friends after that!
Kate was obsessed with this little play cell phone and carried it around all night...she even had her first "theft" incident...when Andy was putting her in the carseat to go home, he discovered she still had the phone and we had to promptly return it! (Isn't that cake fabulous?)
Kate blew out the candles several times before we could even sing to her...so Valerie put her hand over her mouth while I lit them again, and promptly got "slimed" as she called it...licked, with probably with some snot mixed in....
We sang to her with the candles lit, but then we remembered her home-made hat, so we re-lit the candles AGAIN, sang AGAIN, and then she blew them out for probably the 6th time, AGAIN.
Kate got her own fancy new bike, one that Andy can push from behind when he takes the girls on walks around the neighborhood...she loved it...we picked out 2 things for her this year...a new bike and a new doll (and technically Andy's parents bought them for her...thanks Chuck and Karen) and then my mom got her 2 things, and she loved every single gift...less in numbers was definitely more this year...she wasn't overwhelmed with gifts and really was "into" what she got...
My mom bought Kate (actually both girls, obviously) a new table and chairs, and a tea set which they promptly tried out early Sunday morning...
Lauren is like her dad...she doesn't slow down unless she's dying...she was sick this week (we all have been a little under the weather), but she would not admit it...we went to library time in the morning, then she had a playdate with a friend...about an hour into the playdate, the other mom called and said that Lauren had gone into the bathroom and refused to come out, and said "just call my mom and tell her I don't feel good!" Finally--acceptance. She came home and fell asleep on the couch...that NEVER happens...she must have felt really awful...
Because summer was/is still upon us, we went swimming again this week...October 1st, and we were baking in the sun...we love CA, but this is getting a little ridiculous...we has cooled off this weekend, but last weather report I saw, it'll be in the 90's again by mid-week...hopefully that'll change...
Time to wrap up...I should post more often, then it wouldn't take me so long, but I'm just not someone that can blog 3 times a day...just not gonna happen...so it's become one long post once a week, and we'll see if I can keep it up...
Some pictures of Kate from the past 2 years...(just a note about quantity of hair with my 2 girls...Lauren is only 3 months older than Kate is now in these pictures and she has 2 full pony-tails, and her hair had been cut several times by this point...Kate apparently got on the slow-boat to hair growth...we're only barely now beginning to clip it out of her eyes...
First birthday...
Second Halloween...
12 comments:
Wow! I can't believe that Kate is 2!!! It makes me want to cry, just remembering her when she was a newborn.
And, could you all PLEASE quit whining about the summer weather in California!?!!? It could be worse, you could be in the dead cold of Fall!
Happy Birthday, Katers! It was fun celebrating with you!
And I love how the Elmo cupcakes turned out! They're darling and I'm so glad she loved them. (And yes, I learned in my cake decorating class that black and red frosting are the two hardest to make, so it's just worth it to buy some pre-made at Michael's or wherever rather than waste food coloring on it. That's how I got the black I did and I wish I'd bought the red for Tink's mouth. But your red actually does look red!)
Looks like she had a great birthday and loves her presents. I love the little #2 hat she wore while blowing out her cupcakes! Too cute. And tell her she can play with Sophie's cell phone anytime.
Love me some Kate! We must do tea sometime.
Happy birthday Kate!! Wow, time flies. I remember you were pregnant when Tim and I moved into the ward. (You were actually the first person we spoke to, when we asked where Relief Society & Priesthood were. Haha!)
That is a fabulous Tinkerbell cake from your friend, and those are fabulous Elmo cupcakes too. Nice job!! I love the little table and chairs and tea set - I think her birthday brought in quite a haul! Woohoo!
Girl you really impress me with a update every sunday. I love watching what your family does. Happy b-day KAte.
Happy birthday Kate! Cute cupcakes, I loved those. Very clever.
I can't believe it's been 2 years since I came to visit you and Kate peed on my lap. Do you remember that? It seems like yesterday. I thought your Elmo cupcakes were cute-- and I would have know who they were without being told. Anthon says he want's red cake with blue frosting for his birthday. Maybe I should convince him to have something other than red-- I only brought 1 bottle of red food coloring back from the states.
Great post--love all the updates. Happy Birthday Kate!
You have beautiful girls Shannon! It looks like you girls down south get to have college reunion parties all the time! Can i come! your cake and Elmo cupcakes were adorable! Happy Birthday Kate!
The cupcakes turned out awesome! Great job, I knew you could be festive! ;)
Kate is such a doll. I loved looking back on those pictures. And the pic of Lauren and Kate at their new table (from grandma) just made me want to cry. I love that they are sisters and have each other they way I grew up with my sister. Luck-y girls!
Only 25 days to go? Holy crap!
Oh, and fyi: tonight at our first Savior of the World rehearsal (I'm assistant to the director, did I tell you?) they asked me to work with a young soloist on the piano for his solo singing part. I did NOT shy away...I told myself I could do it and I did it! Yahooo! Okay, next I'll get onto finding me some piano students. I promise. But I did find a music store locally to buy piano boosk, it's a start eh? Thanks for all the help and the pep talks. I owe you one.
Oh that Kate is too cute! And I totally could tell those cupcakes were Elmo. Look at you Martha Stewart! You're getting so close. Can't wait to see the He's Here post!! I'll give Summer your email.
Beautiful little girls. I love the cupcakes and the hat! Great ideas.
Post a Comment