Monday, January 11, 2010

Christmas morning

We decided to sleep at my parents' house on Christmas Eve because we were driving to St. George on Christmas day to see Andy's parents, so it seemed easier to just stay in Pasadena and be there in the morning than to try and come back for breakfast and presents. Lauren wrote a priceless letter to Santa asking him to please bring the presents to Grandma's house because she would be sleeping there.

I have a feeling that this year, in terms of degree of "Santa Claus belief," this may have been as good as it gets, in the best way possible. Both girls totally "got it." They really believed, and were so genuinely excited for the big guy to come down the chimney and leave them presents. The reindeer really ate the carrots and cookies, and Santa is magic--he can easily come to Grandma's house instead of ours to fill stockings, and of course he knows which chimney at Grandma's to come down to find the stockings. As parents, it was so easy to talk them into anything--it was the best. I was already hearing from other kindergarten parents that their 5 year-olds were being tipped off by older siblings or other kids at school--the doubt-seed was planted. I really truly hope that we get another year, at least, of all our kids being equally in love with Santa Claus. But I'm sure the time is coming when Lauren finds out the truth, and then it's quickly downhill for the rest of her siblings. But this year, at least, was as good as it gets.

Treats for Santa and his reindeer...



Side note--if you haven't discovered these I Spy books, and the other Seek and Find books, they are the BEST for long church meetings...I think I ordered 10 more for Christmas in addition to the ones we already have...there are different companies that publish them, and I like them all...sort of along the lines of "Where is Waldo" (which Lauren also loves) but not quite as hard.

The pink skateboard does exist...even has a pole that comes up for beginners...although Lauren quickly mastered riding it without the pole...I think she'll be a snow boarder or wake boarder--she's good at having her body turned sideways. Me, not so much. This photo is sort of an eye sore with all the shades of red and pink and brown going on...
What did Charlie get from his parents you ask? Several of his baby shower gifts wrapped back up and put under the tree! A 1-year-old only needs so many things, and with presents from grandparents coming, I took the easy way...when Lauren helped Charlie empty his stocking her face was so confused as she found lots of toys from Grandma's baskets put in his stocking! But again, she was easy to talk out of her confusion--Santa knows how much Charlie likes to play with those toys, so he just put them in his stocking! Totally believable, huh? I love this year...

No comments: