Friday, January 4, 2008

The I-15 2007

Our much planned-out and anticipated holiday in Utah and Idaho started out a little rough...we arrived at Long Beach airport Saturday morning at 5:45 AM with 2 very tired kids, and unloaded 7 pieces of luggage, including 2 bulky carseats, only to find out that the flight had been cancelled...and this after my mom had driven away. After much angst and some heated conversations between all parties involved, we booked a flight the next day out of Orange County. Home we went to dump our already packed bags, and off to Kidspace to initiate our membership and "kill" time. The next day we endured 3 more flight delays and 8 hours in the airport (the kids were NOT happy). We were so happy when the plane finally arrived and we boarded! Yeah! BUT...here comes the pilot to tell us the plane has mechanical problems and that the flight is CANCELLED...that's right...CANCELLED. By now I was crying and frustrated, and PISSED off would only begin to describe it. So we waited another hour at the baggage claim and then left for Idaho at 8 PM, totally unprepared for the 15 hour drive. Let's just say that the poor little van arrived back in CA 1000+ miles over it's oil change! We pulled into Mesquite at 2 AM, and then kept driving the next day through a mighty snowstorm, and finally pulled into Preston at 8 PM on Christmas Eve. We were exhausted, as were the kids. We had a great night with Andy's family, and a great Christmas morning (totally spoiled by the grandparents...thanks Chuck and Karen.) Then it was back into the car for 5 more hours to Island Park. Needless to say, we did a lot of driving this trip! Here are some pics from Christmas morning...Santa was kind to us...



3 comments:

Marcy said...

OH MY GOSH Shannon. I cannot believe that luck! Seriously. Can't even believe it! I can't even swallow the fact that you DROVE all that way with two young kids after thinking you'd be flying. WOW!! I'm so glad you made it, and that you had a nice trip despite it's start. Carrie told me your visit was so fun. That's so great you could stop in on her. You are such a good friend!

dietcokegrrl said...

That is some SERIOUS traveling drama!!! I am so sorry! I'm glad you guys got there in time and had fun. I hope you write a nasty letter to JetBlue and get some type of compensation for your misery.

dana said...

Wow. I can't believe all your travel drama. That seriously sounds like a movie! And I can't believe you ended up driving there! That's a long time in the car with kids. You and Andy deserve a reward. But hey, I guess it was less time than you spent at both airports.
Glad you had fun once you got there!